Not sure whether you really need to see the dentist? The best way to avoid dental pain and invasive treatments is by letting your dentist have a routine check up of your mouth to ensure you’re not brewing any serious tooth problems. This means that any treatment you do need, will be of the far less painful, early stages kind. To help you look after your teeth, we’ve put together our top 10 tips:
1. Having an annual dentist appointment, which includes an oral examination and scale and polish, is enough to keep serious dental problems away, but having a check up twice a year will keep your teeth looking clean, shiny and healthy all year round.
2. A thorough annual check up is included in our membership plan, which allows you to spread the cost of your dental fees affordably over 12 months and give you 10% off important, popular treatments that simply aren’t available on the NHS.
3. Food deposits left on your teeth will turn into decay and cavities if not removed. Plaque on your teeth will turn into gum disease if not treated. Brushing your teeth twice a day (with one of those brushing sessions being last thing at night) using a fluoride toothpaste, will help combat both of these situations.
4. If your gums are swollen, or start to bleed when you brush your teeth, this can be an early warning sign of gum disease. Given that gum disease has been linked to diabetes and heart disease if left untreated, not to mention the fact it will cause you bad breath and the greater likelihood of you having your teeth extracted, it’s wise to book a dentist appointment when you experience symptoms.
5. If your teeth are discoloured, or you have an unsightly stain on one or more of your teeth, a whitening treatment will brighten them by several shades, remove stains and give you an altogether healthier looking and more attractive smile. Here, at our practice in Derby, we will administer an air polish prior to treatment to ensure you achieve optimal results.
6. Don’t delay having a dental implant fitted, when you lose a tooth, or have one removed. An implant is a replacement tooth that is anchored permanently into your gums. It looks and feels like a natural tooth and it can even be placed on the same day you lose a tooth. The longer you leave it, however, the less likely it is you’ll be able to receive this treatment. As soon as teeth are lost, the jawbone in this area will begin to deteriorate and to be a suitable implant candidate, your jawbone must be of a high enough quality.
7. Having orthodontic treatment is possible at any age. You don’t have to be a teenager. More and more adults are having braces fitted, either because straight teeth are what they’ve always wanted, but they’ve just never got round to having orthodontic treatment, or because regulat biting and chewing motions has pushed their teeth out of alignment over time. Here, at the Raynesway Dental practice in Derby, we can provide a huge range of different big name braces brands including Invisalign, Inman aligners, and 6 Month Smiles.
8. If your children need orthodontic treatment, we can provide them with fixed braces on the NHS, or Invisalign teen clear aligners, if they’re looking for a more discreet option.
9. Smile makeovers can prove to be financially lucrative, given that studies have shown that an improved smile can lead to promotion at work . Improve your smile and potentially increase your salary!
10. In the event of you damaging your teeth, or experiencing tooth pain, please arrange for one of our dentists to examine your mouth at your earliest convenience. Any delay in treatment can lead to more serious problems.
We welcome new patients to our practice every day. If you’d like to register with us, please give us a call.