With 4 million customers worldwide the Invisalign system must be doing something right, but why are so many people in Derby choosing these pioneering clear braces over traditional metal braces? Read More…
There’s almost nothing worse than toothache, or at least that’s how it feels when you have it. With so many different possibilities that might cause pain in your mouth, some of them with serious repercussions, it’s important that you see your dentist as soon as you can when toothache strikes. Simply masking the problem by taking paracetamol or stronger painkillers presents a very real chance that you’re setting yourself up for more severe pain at a later date. Don’t let a problem in its early stages develop into something altogether more severe! Read More…
Teeth which look healthy will naturally make us look more attractive. Think about the teeth of your colleagues. Out of all of them, who has the worst teeth; the least attractive smile? If you’re bringing a face to mind, it just goes to show you that we do remember a set of unattractive teeth. How do you feel about those teeth? Would it make you more or less likely to employ or befriend them?
Smile studies have shown that generally we’re more likely to be drawn to and captivated by an attractive smile consisting of clean, white teeth. We’re more likely to employ staff who have nice teeth and we’re more likely to reject somebody with unattractive teeth as a potential partner.
Here at the Raynesway Dental practice in Derby, we are passionate about improving smiles. To help you make the most out of yours, here are our top 10 tips for healthier, whiter teeth:
- Brush your teeth twice daily using a fluoride toothpaste. This might seem obvious, but a recent survey reported that a large percentage of the UK population regularly forgets to do this!
- Make one of those brushing sessions last thing at night. It’s not advisable to go to bed with food deposits remaining on your teeth. This has the potential to cause gum disease and tooth decay.
- Visit your hygienist for regular check ups. This will ensure that any food deposits which are left on your teeth are removed via a professional dental cleaning treatment.
- Use floss to reach the areas between your teeth.
- Teeth which are not straight often trap more food deposits than straight teeth. This is because unaligned teeth are more likely to have surfaces which are hard to reach with your toothbrush. Consider having braces, not only to create a more attractive smile, but also to make it easier to maintain the health of your teeth.
- If you have teeth which are chipped or cracked, consider having a veneer or even a crown to restore your smile.
- If your teeth are discoloured, a professional whitening treatment should brighten them by several shades.
- Don’t ignore potential gum problems. Gums that are swollen, or bleed when you brush your teeth require attention. Untreated gum disease can lead to tooth loss.
- If you have been experiencing toothache, don’t put off going to the dentist. The sooner the cause of your toothache is identified, the milder the repercussions may be.
- If you’re not sure what sort of treatment you need in order to achieve a more attractive smile, why not book a consultation with one of expert dentists? We’d be happy to examine your mouth with a view to suggesting the best possible course of action.
Looking after your teeth is easy, but in order to achieve great results, you need to be consistent by brushing twice daily and visiting your dentist regularly. Please get in touch with our friendly reception to book a consultation with us.
If you’re a Derby resident and you’re not a member of a dental practice, you could be setting yourself up for costly dental treatment in the future. The role of the dentist is to keep your teeth and gums healthy with a view to preventing any serious dental problems from occurring. Fillings, extractions and painful treatments, such as root canal work, can all be avoided if you keep your teeth in good condition and visit a dentist regularly.
You’re not alone if you’re not currently registered with a local dental practice. According to the National Smile Month survey a large percentage of the population confess they don’t see a dentist regularly and many people admit they haven’t visited a dentist in the last 2 years! If you think it would be a good idea to find a new dentist, we’d like to help you make the right choice. Whether you’re suffering from tooth pain or you’d simply like to visit a dentist before tooth pain occurs, it’s a good idea to consider the following when enquiring about dental practices:
- Hygiene: Regular hygiene appointments will ensure your teeth are kept free from plaque and that any signs of gum disease are treated in the early stages. In its later stages, gum disease has been associated with heart failure, strokes and diabetes! These appointments will also help you maintain fresh breath. Many dental practices will include a couple of annual hygiene appointments in their dental plan.
- Restoration: Do you have any damaged teeth that you’d like restored back to their former condition. You’ll need a dentist who can expertly apply veneers and crowns.
- Orthodontics: Are you looking for a tooth straightening service, for you or your children? Here at the Raynesway Practice in Derby, we offer a number of different braces brands including reliable ceramic fixed braces, invisible lingual braces, innovative Invisalign braces and NHS traditional braces.
- Cosmetic treatments: Want to improve the look of your teeth? Then, you might like to explore the idea of a smile makeover, which will give you a more flattering smile. Your teeth will be examined on an individual basis with a view to providing you with a smile of which you can be proud. We also offer teeth whitening treatment and facially aesthetic procedures, such as anti-wrinkle injections.
- Dental Implants: If you’ve lost a tooth, or you need to have a tooth removed, a dental implant will provide you with a permanent replacement tooth.
We care deeply about our Derby patients, which is why we continually invest in our equipment and improving the skills of our team. We want you to benefit from the most cutting edge dental techniques and equipment. We can also recommend a trusted dental plan, should you want to pay back the cost of your treatment over a longer timeframe. To get in touch with our expert reception team and book an initial consultation with one of our dentists, please give us a call.
It’s that time of year again when we find ourselves being bombarded by adverts of perfect couples enjoying their perfect Christmas and New Year in Derby. We know that nobody can actually be that perfect, but that doesn’t stop many of us from feeling insecure about the parts of our bodies we hate. For a lot of people, their most imperfect feature is their teeth.
It doesn’t matter how much we restrict our diets and exercise, lifestyle changes won’t correct our overlapping or protruding teeth. The only way to mend a chipped tooth or fill the gap where teeth have been lost is by visiting the dentist.
There are many options available to have your teeth restored back to their former glory and in order to be able to help you, we need to hear about your individual dental concerns. That’s why we’d like to invite you to discuss any cosmetic tooth problems you might have with one of our highly trained and experienced cosmetic dental surgeons at a consultation here, at our Derby clinic.
If you’re quick, we might even be able to fit you in and improve your teeth before you head off for the office Christmas party! Here’s a rough guide to some of the most common dental problems we can fix for you quickly, comfortably and affordably.
Discoloured or stained teeth
In many dating surveys, dating site users have cited yellow or brown teeth as one of the biggest turn-offs. Discoloured teeth have even been known to block the path to promotion. Help is at hand. You don’t need to keep spending money on toothpaste with excessive baking soda, that appears to be taking a while to work. There are much quicker means of brightening your teeth for the festive period.
We offer both air polishing treatments for mild discolouration and bleaching treatments for heavy staining. The air polish is recommended in the first instance, because it can significantly brighten your teeth, but it also prepares your teeth to respond better to a tooth whitening treatment. We offer both in-surgery and professional home kits, that we’ll guide you through using. You’ll have naturally white teeth in a matter of days.
Chipped or broken teeth
We can restore chipped or broken teeth in a matter of hours using dental veneers. These thin slivers of porcelain are bonded to your teeth to hide cracks and damage.
If you’ve lost a tooth or multiple teeth, then you might want to consider replacing it or them with dental implants. Dental implants are a permanent solution to toothloss, as once they are placed in the jaw, they can’t be removed. They are anchored to your jawbone. The crown that sits on top of the root looks and feels just like a natural tooth.
Straight teeth are easier to keep clean and keep looking great. Nothing beats the feeling of flashing your new, perfect smile for the first time once your orthodontic treatment is completed. Here at Raynesway in Derby, we are respected Invisalign braces providers. Invisalign aligner trays are constructed from clear plastic and virtually invisible, so you can disguise the fact your teeth are being straightened, until that perfect smile reveal moment.
To find out more about any of our cosmetic treatments, please give our reception team a call. We’ll be able to book an appointment at a time that’s convenient for you and answer any questions you might have.
Not sure whether you really need to see the dentist? The best way to avoid dental pain and invasive treatments is by letting your dentist have a routine check up of your mouth to ensure you’re not brewing any serious tooth problems. This means that any treatment you do need, will be of the far less painful, early stages kind. To help you look after your teeth, we’ve put together our top 10 tips: